My tots and I loved our recent trip to Snow Canyon State Park, Utah. Here are the top five reasons I would recommend it for your family:
1. Campground – The campground is well maintained, has sites for tents or campers and had the cleanest bathrooms I’ve ever seen when camping. Pull chain showers are also available to registered campers. The ranger station also includes a small book store and there’s a play area for kids. If possible, get your friends together and stay at the group site, it was self enclosed, had easy access to trails and bathrooms.
2. Short Hikes – Hiking with kids is never easy, but the great thing about Snow Canyon State Park is the multitude of short, but interesting hikes. There’s lots to see and do, less than a mile from the main road.
3. Biking – Snow Canyon State Park is known as a great place for biking, in fact the ranger told me St. George holds their Ironman triathlon biking portion within the park. The canyon is one long, paved downhill if you start at the top. If you’re averse to biking next to twenty five mile per hour traffic, there are two great bike trails as well. The first, Whiptail, is paved and starts at the Upper Galoot Parking area. It follows along the main road six miles down to the park entrance. The second trail, West Canyon Road, is eight miles on a gravel access road that parallels the amazing rock formations in the park.
4. St. George, Utah – If you’re camping with kids, it’s always good to have access to a store in case of emergencies. Whether you forgot a favorite toy, need a snack or just want a break, it’s nice to have access to the benefits of a city. We especially appreciated the Sand Hollow Aquatic Center and visiting a local park in St. George, as different activities from the daily hiking and biking.
5. Scenery – Snow Canyon State Park has a variety of rock formations from red sandstone to dark lava rock. Add to that the fact that the entire park is located within the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve, a habitat conservation area whose purpose is to protect the endangered Mojave Desert Tortoise, and you can appreciate the wildlife, as well as the beauty.