Sharing is caring:
Everyone loves the taste of gooey marshmallow, warm chocolate and crunchy graham crackers. Roasted over a fire, the sweet S’mores treat is a camping staple throughout the nation. But marshmallows aren’t the only thing to roast over a fire.
1. Starbursts – It may sound strange but roasting these tiny squares over a fire gives them a crunchy, carmalized exterior and warm, melty interior. Mmmm!
2. Orange Cakes – Once on a camp out with my mom she showed me how to spoon out the flesh of an orange and fill the shell with cake batter. After wrapping it in tinfoil and placing it in the coals it made a tasty orange infused cake treat.
3. Doughboys – A staple in our extended family. Refrigerated biscuit dough stretched thin and wrapped around a camping stick can make a delicious baked dessert. Roast the dough near coals for 5-10 minutes, being careful not to burn it, then dip in melted butter and cinnamon and sugar.
4. S’mores Add-ons – Try adding a Rolo or Reese’s Peanut Butter cup to the top of your marshmallow roasting stick. While the mallow roasts, the chocolate melts and when you take off the marshmallow the candy tunnels inside the gooey goodness. Or try out special Stackable or Jumbo marshmallows for a unique spin on the s’mores experience.
5. Or if you’re not interested in sticky, dirty, messy hands and faces try these all in one Trader Joe’s treats. You may not be able to tell in the photo, but there are supposed to be chocolate goodies in the box behind the label. Unfortunately I ate them all before I took the picture – they were that good.